An Scoil

Gaelscoil Philib Barún is an all-Irish mixed national school. The pupils are taught through Irish which is the everyday communication medium of the school. It is a Catholic school under the patronage of the Bishop of Waterford and Lismore.

The school was founded in 1985 as a result of the heroic work of a group of parents and local people who were interested in Irish and in the founding of a Gaelscoil in Tramore. There were 29 children enrolled the first year. The school was originally located in Tramore House but moved to Stella Maris House in 1989 where it remained for 14 years. In 2003, the Department of Education bought a beautiful site overlooking Tramore Bay as a permanent location for the school. However, to date a permanent school building has never been built and the pupils are still taught in cramped prefabs.

At present, there are over 200 pupils enrolled from Junior Infants to 6th class, with a staff of 8 teachers, a resource teacher and an administrative principal.

The school was named after Philip Barron, a pioneer of Irish Nationalism from the 1800’s whose values live on in our school.